
So, I finally did it!
I ran the Nike Women's
From the second that I decided to register for a marathon to the second that I crossed the finish four hours thirty-seven minutes and twenty-three seconds after I crossed the start line, it was one helluva rollercoaster.
I used to be a fairly decent runner and ran my way through angst in junior high, homesickness at boarding school, and in tandem and adoration with my high school boyfriend. I'm a bit embarrassed to admit that my fastest mile time at 5:31 or something took place 15 years ago on the
I've always held admiration for marathon-ers and always knew I'd complete one, the question that remained was when. Fast forward to 2007.
My "training" wasn't quite non-existent, but could be described as sporadic…Pretty much my training was interrupted by every non-fatal thing I can think of: I was on antibiotics 3 times (twice for a persistent ear infection and once for strep throat 3 weeks before the race date), I fell off my bike directly onto my knees and got a hairline fracture in one of my kneecaps, I was out of town on business for 3 weeks and on vacation for 14 days (all in humid locations that made running deathly) and so forth…oh, and did I mention, lots of my friends are heavy drinkers and smokers…love you guys, but a challenge none-the-less!
As race day approached I was the picture of calm despite only running once in the month preceding the race and feeling winded after a flight of stairs! But I was filled with dread swiftly and silently as I was handed my racing bib and chip, and as panic began to sweep over me, I fought hard not to entertain negative thoughts of injury, death, catastrophe…It dawned on me that my usual laissez faire, off the cuff approach to life might not have been the best way to prepare to run 26.2 miles…
Lucky for me, I have a few friends that are experienced marathons (
No comments:
Post a Comment