Monday, January 30, 2006

On the up

Lots of people make resolutions for the coming of a new calendar year. i don't. I suppose I don't get down with making life changes with an arbitrary date in mind. That being said, i do believe in making life changes. Sometimes I create change, oi, at MAWS I was publicized as agent of change when I did presentations in high schools and stuff, and sometimes change drops into my lap. Last week was one of those weeks.

I met a United Nations reporter lady who seems keen to aid me in my future endeavors, including, perhaps, helping me get a hefty internship or a place in an exclusive program. We chatted. We drank tea. We laughed. She charmed the pants off of me (in a not pervy kinda way) and gave me interesting books to read. Most importantly, she inspired me. She ignited in me the passion I had let dim due to more menial pursuits. She brought out some of my most favorite parts of myself and she wants me to stay in touch.

Then, a guest lecturer in one of my classes in Cal and I chatted after the neato lecture she gave. I pointed out that Ruth Handler, co-founder of Mattel, connected much of her research: Barbie, advertising, bankruptcy, breast implants et al. and she was stoked. We chattered about her research, law school, debt and so forth...then she gave me her email address and phone number before inviting to show me around the East Coast if I end up thatta way for further academic/professional pursuits. She seemed interested in my research and me; it was a huge confidence boost. And she was nice, super nice, and wearing a foxy suit and knee-high boots. My kinda lady.

Also, I learnt something inadvertently from my internship attorney lady. She called me to ask me to help her out. I was at work and, figuring she wasn't there, I waited until noon the next day to call her. Poor choice. She gave it to someone else. Lesson learnt: if you want it, don't play it cool, don't wait. BUT then she called a few days later and asked me if I would like to take over for her law clerk that just passed the bar. Like every week. Woop woo, ask and you shall receive. Lesson learnt: all is well that ends well.

And I have my first race in one week after about an eight-year hiatus from racing. I am racing with my best friend and her (marathon runner) husband. I am nervous, excited, scared, and proud of myself for getting back into one of my passions.

I don't feel old by any means and I keep making poor adult choices , but I feel empowered to find my niche academically and professionally, something I momentarily had lost. And I am glad to have it back.

No comments: